Posted in home

Maywood couple, 80 and 78, die after furnace malfunctions, overheats home

Two Maywood residents, an 80-year-old man and 78-year-old woman, died Sunday when a malfunctioning furnace overheated their home, officials said.

Leevell Robinson and Ora Robinson, of the 1200 block of South 15th Avenue in Maywood, were found unresponsive in their home by a relative who then phoned 911 about 2 p.m., according to information from the Cook County medical examiner’s office and Maywood Fire Chief Craig Bronaugh. The chief said a fire crew was dispatched to the home by an emergency call-taker after the 911 call, during which the caller also said the home was excessively hot and “that they had just gotten a new furnace.”

Leevell Robinson, 80, was pronounced dead at the home at 2:27 p.m., officials said. Ora Robinson, 78, was taken to Loyola University Medical Center where she was pronounced dead at 6:49 p.m.

“The temperature was extremely warm on the inside of the house.

Read More
Continue Reading Maywood couple, 80 and 78, die after furnace malfunctions, overheats home
Posted in lowe's home improvement

Mother, son die in Fremont CA fire after she returns for him

Two women and a teenage girl escaped from a burning two-story California home into the early morning darkness Saturday as flames and smoke engulfed both stories.

Then one of the women, Feda Almaliti, realized her 15-year-old son, Muhammed, who had autism, was still inside, according to a release from the Fremont Fire Department.

She dashed back inside the burning home to look for him. Neither emerged.

Firefighters in Fremont, a San Francisco Bay Area community, arrived a few minutes later and found Feda and Muhammed Almaliti together in a second-floor bedroom, the release says.

“She was embracing Muhammed,” said friend Sarah Trautman, KTVU reported.

Both had life-threatening injuries and were pronounced dead at a local hospital, firefighters say.

“This is a tragic and heartbreaking incident,” Fire Chief Curtis Jacobson said in the release. “Feda Almaliti courageously risked her life to save her son’s. Her actions were selfless and valiant.”

Feda

Read More
Continue Reading Mother, son die in Fremont CA fire after she returns for him
Posted in home

76 vets die of Covid at soldiers home

They stormed the beaches at Normandy, liberated Nazi concentration camps and fought the Cold War in Korea and Vietnam only to die in their beds from a virus that infiltrated the veteran’s center in western Massachusetts that was their home.



a group of people in a park


© Provided by NBC News


But on Friday the loved ones of the 76 veterans who, starting in March, died from the coronavirus at the Holyoke Soldiers Home, received a measure of belated justice.

Former Superintendent Bennett Walsh, a Marine, and the home’s ousted medical director, Dr. David Clinton, were each charged with five counts of “wantonly or recklessly” causing or permitting bodily harm and five counts of neglect or mistreatment of an older or disabled person, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healy announced.

“My heart goes out to the families that lost loved ones at the Holyoke Soldiers Home,” Healy said. “They risked their lives from Normandy to the

Read More
Continue Reading 76 vets die of Covid at soldiers home
Posted in home repair

‘I thought we were going to die,’ complaints about home warranties and delayed A/C repairs

PHOENIX — With temperatures so high you may have thought, ‘what happens if your air conditioning stops working?’ Would a home warranty be good protection or a waste of money? Some Arizonans say their American Home Shield warranties left them sweating during the hottest part of the summer.

Jennifer Schrader says when her air conditioning went out, she called a contractor to diagnose the issue. Schrader says she was told the unit was old, had multiple issues and she says it needed to be replaced.

But Schrader says when she called her home warranty company, American Home Shield, they thought replacing the compressor would solve the issue. Schrader says she spent days without air conditioning with temperatures in the 100s trying to work with the company.

“My son has autism you can’t just pick up and go,” Schrader says.

Finally, she says she took out a second mortgage on her

Read More
Continue Reading ‘I thought we were going to die,’ complaints about home warranties and delayed A/C repairs