Ex Waltham Nursing Home Staff Accused Of Stealing From Resident

WALTHAM, MA —A former Waltham nursing home administrator was indicted in connection with accusations that she tried to steal hundreds of thousands of dollars from an elderly resident, and used the money for repairs to her home, restaurants and vacations, Attorney General Maura Healey said Monday.

Christina Polcari, 54, of Belmont a former admissions director at the Meadow Green Nursing Home in Waltham, was indicted by a Middlesex County Grand Jury for one count of larceny over $1,200, five counts of forgery and one count of embezzlement by fiduciary, according to Healey’s office.

Between August 2018 until May 2019 misappropriated more than $230,000 of a nursing home resident’s funds and spent the money on personal expenses such as repairs to her home, restaurants, cash withdrawals, and vacations for her and her family, Healey said.

Investigators accuse Polcari of using the resident’s forged signature for promissory notes, letters, and checks in an effort to cover up the theft.

Polcari left her position in 2019 when nursing home officials became aware of her activities, Healey said.

Before she left, authorities said she repaid a portion of the money back.

An arraignment date has not yet been set, but officials expect her to be arraigned in Middlesex Superior Court via virtual conference.

The Middlesex District Attorney referred the case to the Attorney General because this is connected to Medicaid Fraud, and the Medicaid Fraud division receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award. The remaining 25 percent is funded by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Source Article